A. Answer the following questions each in a single sentence : (1 mark each question)
1. When and where did Roger and Mrs. Luella Bates Washington Jones meet ?
2. How did Mrs. Jones ensure that he could not break free from her grip ?
3. Which one of these lines spoken by Mrs. Jones tells you that she can read Roger’s mind ?
4. What was the name of the boy who tried to snatch the bag ?
5. Why did the boy try to snatch the pocket book ?
6. Why did Mrs. Luella Bates give the boy ten dollars ?
7. Where did Mrs. Luella Bates turn the boy loose ?
8. What was the price of the cake the boy was given a part of in “Thank You Ma’am ?
9. Where did Luella take the boy in ‘Thank you Ma’am” ?
B. Answer the following questions in not more than 100 words each : (6 marks each question)
Or, Why did Roger not try to run away later although he had an opportunity to do so ?
(ii)What features of the character of Mrs. Luella Bates are exposed in the short story “Thank You Ma’am” ?
Or, Give a character sketch of Mrs. Jones.
(iii)“I wanted a pair of --------- shoes.” – What reply did the speaker get and how did he react.
(iv) Justify the title of the short story “Thank You Ma’am”.
(v)What lesson did Roger learn from Mrs. Jones ?